Welcome back! We hope everyone had a fantastic first week. It may have been a little nerve-wracking, finding a classroom for the first time, gathering materials and books, meeting new people, even choosing a place to sit. But, you did it. You made it through that first week, and now you are ready to have a successful semester.
There’s a lot of advice out there on how to make your college experience successful. The key is to find what works best for you and do it. The best advice is no good if all you do is read it, and never put it into practice.
Here are a few tips to help you take the first step toward a successful semester:
- Get organized now. Staff from CCC’s Student Success Center will be giving away 2015-16 Student Planners on Aug. 25 – 26, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. in the Success Center lobby.
- Whatever organizational tool you choose, use it. Great tools only work if you use them. If you aren’t sure how to get started, staff in the Success Center can help.
- Take time over the weekend to plan your week. Knowing what you are going to do each day will help you manage your time.
- Make one list of all your assignments. Gather the syllabi from every class you are taking and create one list showing every day an assignment is due. This can help you plan ahead and not let a due date sneak up on you.
- Figure out what time of day you are most productive and use it to your advantage. Schedule time to study or work on your more challenging assignments during those hours.
These are only a few suggestions, but hopefully they will help you get started on a path to success.
Want more ideas? Check out CCC’s Academic Planning and Organization board on Pinterest.
Do you have tips that have worked for you? Share them with us!